Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University
(BLACK PR WIRE/FAMU-TALLAHASSEE) – As school semesters come to a close, many students prepare to go on various vacations. On many campuses, students pack their belongings and stand around the car, scratching their heads trying to figure out how to get everything back home. As you prepare to come back to school and are organizing your dorm and or apartment, here are some tips on how to create a “Green” room.
• Look for 100 percent organic cotton or bamboo sets, which are made without harmful pesticides.
• Look for PEVA shower curtains rather than those made from PVC Vinyl.
• Reduce your time in the shower by 5 minutes.
• Reuse. Shop at local thrift shops for cool recycled flower pots, wall pictures or vintage picture frames.
• Replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs (CFL).
• Instead of plastic cups and paper plates, use reusable kitchenware.
• Keep air conditioning use to a minimum.
Rutha Adams, 23, a psychology student from Orlando, already utilizes some of these tips. “All of my appliances in my bedroom are plugged into one power strip. That way when I leave, everything can be turned off at once, and my roommates and I keep our air conditioning at a set temperature,” Adams said.
“When I leave, I make sure to unplug all of my appliances, cut all the lights off and make sure no water is being run,” said Shalonda Williams, a fourth-year elementary education student from Tallahassee.