Mayor’s Office of Communications
55 Trinity Avenue, Suite 2500 • Atlanta, Georgia 30303
(Black PR Wire) ATLANTA — Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms launched two initiatives per her Administrative Orders related to the Mayor’s Use of Force Advisory Council recommendations: a public use of force dashboard and a video evidence submittal portal.
The creation of the Use of Force Dashboard was a collaborative effort between the Mayor’s Office, Atlanta Police Department (APD), the Atlanta Citizen Review Board (ACRB) and Atlanta Information Management (AIM). The purpose of the Use of Force Dashboard is to improve transparency, increase trust between the public and APD and facilitate fact-based discussions around police performance in the city of Atlanta. This dashboard will be updated quarterly, with the next update expected in October 2021.
The Use of Force Dashboard is divided into five sections with the following metrics:
- Use of Force Overview
- Number of Arrests
- Number of Use of Force Reports
- Map of Use of Force Incidents – By APD Zone
- Use of Force Incident Details
- Use of Force by Type (e.g. physical force, firearm, taser, etc.)
- Use of Force by Time of Day
- Top 5 Call Signals Resulting in Use of Force
- Percentage of Use of Force Incidents with Video Footage
- Subject Involved Demographics
- Officer Involved Demographics
- Age (Cross-referenced with Call Type)
- Rank (Cross-referenced with Call Type)
- Years of Service
- Use of Force Cases Assigned to the APD Office of Professional Standards – Number and Status
- ACRB Use of Force Cases – Number, Status, and Change Over Time
The Video Evidence Submittal Portal allows members of the public to submit video footage when filing a complaint with APD, including evidence of an alleged use of force incident. Complaints and associated footage may be submitted anonymously, if desired, and are submitted to APD’s Office of Professional Standards to go through their investigative process. Members of the public may also submit video footage to the ACRB through their online complaint form.
Both of these links are available on the Reimagining Justice Reform website, in the Resources section, as well as each respective agency’s website.
A comprehensive list of Mayor Bottoms’ police and justice reform actions can be found at https://justicereform.atlantaga.gov/.