(Black PR Wire) Don't miss these stellar conversations for our October "Last Thursday" Virtual Learning Series, presented by the National Black Child Development Institute. This virtual learning series is set for Thursday, October 29 begining at 11 a.m. Here's a look at each session, so register now:
Know Your Power: The Strength of the Black Community
October 29, 2020
11 AM EST
SESSION 1: "Voting while Black: The Value of the Black Vote and the Impact on Children and Families"
This session discussed the important issues regarding the Black vote focusing on children, marginalized black people and families.
- Moderator: Deon "DJ" Jones - Artist and Creative Collaborator
- Panelist 1: Sharifa Townsend - President, BCDI Chicago
- Panelist 2: Khalilah Harris - Managing Director for K-12 Education Policy, Center for American Progress
- Panelist 3: Will Jawando - Councilman, Montgomery County, MD
- Panelist 4: Alencia Johnson - Founder and Chief Impact Officer, 1063 West Broad
SESSION 2: "Communicating with My Child about Civic Engagement and Social Justice"
This session provided parents and caregivers with specific tips and insights on how to have necessary, age-appropriate, productive and healthy conversations with Black Children communicate with them on social justice issues and civic engagement practices.
- Moderator: Sybil Amuti - Founder, The Great Girlfriends
- Panelist 1: Anna White- Program Manager, Early Childhood Success, National League of Cities
- Panelist 2: Jeff Johnson- CEO of Men Thrive
- Panelist 3: Dr. Kenya Hameed, PsyD - Clinical Neuropsychologist, Child Mind Institute
SESSION 3: "The Critical Role Faith-based Organizations and HBCUs Play in Black Civic Engagement"
This session focused on the important role the faith-based community and HBCUs have played and the role they should continue to play in driving Black civic engagement.
- Moderator: Rev. Q. Gadson - The Believers House, Atlanta, GA
- Panelist 1: Michael Walrond - Sr. Pastor, First Corinthian Baptist Church, Harlem, New York
- Panelist 2. Pastor Natosha Reid Rice - Minister for Public Life at All Saints' Episcopal Church, Atlanta GA.
- Panelist 3: Brother Hasaun Muhammad - Founder, Managing Partner, Green Flame
SESSION 4: "The Power of the Youth (18-24) Vote" presented by Covid Classroom
During this session, participants engaged in a discussion regarding the power of the youth (18-24) vote and how people can encourage the youth in their lives to be civically engaged.
- Moderator: Tyler Greene - Founder Covid Classroom
- Panelist 1: Careshia Moore - Executive Director, Ushers New Look
- Panelist 2: Justin Cunningham - Executive Director, Social Works
- Youth Panelist 3: Mary Pat Hector - Georgia Coordinator of Black Youth Vote
Note your calendar. Share this email. And register now for this webinar by Clicking Here
We invite you to GET ENGAGED, please share the information so others can benefit!
Tag @nbcdi and use hashtag #NBCDI #NBCDILASTTHURSDAYS