(Black PR Wire) CHICAGO – Recently the Obama Foundation announced the agenda and initial speakers for its forthcoming 2023 Democracy Forum to be held in Chicago on Friday, November 3. The Forum will explore the issues critical to strengthening democracy, and highlight leaders who are on the frontlines of democracy and offering models of hope including the four pillars President Obama has outlined as areas of focus to strengthen democracy: 1) Detoxifying our discourse, 2) Developing models for a more sustainable and inclusive system of capitalism, 3) Revitalizing our institutions so that people believe participation is worth the effort, and 4) Building democratic culture.
At the Forum, President Obama will join hundreds of global changemakers, tech leaders, business titans, and a few surprise guests to explore solutions that can expand and strengthen democracy worldwide. The event will also mark the 15th anniversary of President Obama’s 2008 election and his victory speech in Grant Park.
The Democracy Forum sessions will focus on the following topics:
- Why It’s Critical to Strengthen Trust in Institutions
- Finding Meaningful Connections in a Digital World
- The Future of Journalism and Combating Misinformation
- Fair Economies and the Future of Work
- Weighing AI and Human Progress
Sessions at the Democracy Forum will include:
- Democracy’s Immune System: Presented by the MacArthur Foundation Media experts and journalists dive into the world of local news, the role that it plays as democracy’s immune system, and a much needed plan to revitalize local news and journalism for the future, including reaching significant milestones by 2026–the 250th anniversary of the founding of the United States. This conversation will be moderated by journalist Judy Woodruff. Panel participants include John Palfrey, President of the MacArthur Foundation & Press Forward, Nancy Gibbs, Director of the Shorenstein Center, Professor of Practice of Press, Politics, and Public Policy, Harvard Kennedy School, Sonal Shah, CEO of the Texas Tribune, and Darryl Holliday, Co-Founder of City Bureau.
- Innovation and Inclusion in Business Join Emma Grede, CEO and Co-Founder of Good American, Founding Partner of SKIMS, and Chairwoman of The Fifteen Percent Pledge, in conversation with Wemimo Abbey, Co-Founder and Co-CEO of Esusu, Inc, as these global business leaders from the investment and retail sectors share how they are leveraging their own diverse backgrounds to develop inclusive business models that promise to broaden economic opportunities and foster change across industries.
- Interactive Demo: How to Spot the Real News Join the News Literacy Project to discover new skills to add to your toolkit so you can tell the difference between fact and fictional news whenever and wherever you are online.
The current list of speakers, the agenda, and Forum updates, can be found at: https://www.obama.org/democracy-forum-2023/.
Media who are interested in attending the Forum are required to RSVP in advance by completing this form no later than Thursday, October 26 at 5 p.m. CT. Completing the form is not a guarantee of your attendance, as space is limited. Responding members of the media will be notified whether they are credentialed and provided with additional logistical information by Wednesday, November 1.
KEY DETAILS FOR MEDIA:
WHEN: Friday, November 3, 2023
TIME: 9:30 AM – 4:30 PM CT
LOCATION: McCormick Place (2301 S King Dr, Chicago, IL 60616)
MEDIA RSVP: Media interested in attending should fill out this form no later than Thursday, October 26th at 5 p.m. CT. Completing the form is not a guarantee of your attendance. Space is limited and media will be notified whether or not you are credentialed and provided with additional logistics by November 1.