(Black PR Wire) Each year, October is recognized as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. While breast cancer affects women of all ethnicities, unfortunately it is now more fatal for black women. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Black women with a breast cancer diagnosis have a 40% higher mortality rate than white women.
According to blackdoctors.org, the breast cancer death rate gap is significant because black women are more likely to be uninsured. Also, Black women tend to be diagnosed at a later stage, making them less likely to receive timely treatments such as surgery, radiation or hormone therapy.
Luckily, there are countless organizations working tirelessly to improve the health outcomes for Black women through advocacy, education, research and empowerment. During the month of October, BPRW salutes all the organizations across the nation working relentlessly to decrease the impact of breast cancer on women of color. The team at Black PR Wire compiled a list of some of these great organizations:
- African American Breast Cancer Alliance, Inc. (AABCA). This organization educates and supports African Americans in their breast cancer journey and survivorship. https://aabcainc.org/
- Black Women's Health Imperative. This organization is dedicated solely to improving the overall wellness of African-American women and girls. https://bwhi.org
- Sisters Network Inc. Sister's Network Inc. is committed to increasing local and national attention to the devastating impact that breast cancer has on the African American community. https://www.sistersnetworkinc.org/
- Sisters by Choice. This organization supports men and women diagnosed with breast cancer by providing innovative educational programs and breast health advocacy groups to help eradicate the disease. https://sistersbychoice.org/
- For the Breast of US. A breast cancer community for women of color that supports, advocates for, shatters paradigms, removes obstacles, and so much more for women of color. https://breastofus.com.